Ernst & Young (“EY”) helps clients operate more effectively in moving goods around the world.
EY established a Global Trade team to help clients manage export and import classifications, assist with Free Trade Agreements (“FTA”) solicitation and qualification analysis, identify other government agencies (“OGA”) requirements, and review client transactions. The Global Trade team consists of a dedicated team of trained individuals responsible for analysing the technical characteristics of products and assigning proper export and import classifications, conducting analysis if products qualify for FTAs, identifying OGA requirements and screening client’s transactions against different lists of sanctioned parties.
- Your client responsibilities
Global Trade team members are responsible for reviewing the technical properties of a good, assigning the proper import classification based upon the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (“HTS”), and assigning export classification numbers (“ECN”) for goods, using appropriate software tools and via collaboration with local EY Global Trade resources.
Global Trade team members are also responsible for conducting analysis whether products qualify for FTAs and also for identifying OGA requirements.
The role of the Global Trade Manager will include the following.
- Oversee all classifications and FTA assignment work
- Implement key process strategies and ongoing enhancements to effectively and timely manage classification assignments
- Support risk management, improve international trade compliance and increase operational effectiveness for our clients’ supply chains
- Provide insight, connectedness and responsiveness to all clients while demonstrating a good understanding of their business
- Lead in developing recommendations and implementation plans.
- Make informed decisions in complex and judgmental areas.
- Participate in ongoing business development
- Your people responsibilities
The Global Trade Manager will also be responsible for the following.
- Lead client service teams
- Actively engage in required consultations, and mentor team members
- Focus on people/talent development by counselling, coaching and impacting others through identification of stretch and challenging goals
- Develop strong relationships across a network of existing and future clients and EY Global Trade professionals
- Demonstrate flexibility, teamwork skills and leadership initiative
- Participate in and contribute to achieving team goals
Our team is dedicated to providing excellent client service and accurate classifications with fast turn-around time. Global Trade managers are responsible for assigning FTA work to team members.
Requirements (including experience, skills and additional qualifications)
Technical skills requirements
Global Trade Managers should have:
- Experience determining tariff classifications in accordance with the Harmonized Tariff System;
- Export Control classification knowledge.
- Experience with various FTAs
Additionally, Global Trade Managers should have one or more of the following industry experience or educational background:
- An undergraduate degree in international trade, chemistry, biology, chemical engineering or a related field is preferred;
- Strong background/experiences/commodity expertise with machinery and equipment or electronics is a plus;
- Relevant experience working in biotechnology, medical technology and/or pharmaceutical industries (in capacities where understanding the technical aspects of the products is essential, commodity expertise exists).
Additional skills requirements
- Proficiency with MS Windows, word processing, database and spreadsheet software;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong written/ verbal communication skills;
- Ability to analyze regulations and procedures and relate them to operations;
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills;
- Experience managing a team;
- Fluency in English is required; and
- Fluency in Spanish is desirable.